Friday 13 September 2013

Wander: Berlin, Germany


Sprechen sie Englisch, bitte? Do you speak English, please?

This is our first time visiting Germany, and I suppose the first place neither of us could speak the language. So upon landing in Berlin our lack of German was immediately sobering. Tegel is probably the most chaotic airport I've ever flown into (and that includes Heathrow) - pair that with a couple of tired travellers who don't speak the language...fear certainly took over.

What we quickly learned though is most people in Berlin speak great English. As long as you're prepared to learn a few greetings, niceties, work on pronunciation and at the very least know how to ask them if they sprechen sie Englisch, they're more than happy to converse with you in English with a smile. 

We feel much braver exercising what we've learned and are inspired to look into language classes when we get home. German may not be the prettiest language but its a really fun one! 


Being in Berlin the last several days has been nothing short of amazing! The people here are great - friendly and fascinating! The sights, the food, the graffiti and the eclectic culture that envelopes you as you wander through, has an infectious effect. There's something about Berlin that feels like coming home. Especially if you're a creative person! The fashion and overall style of Berliners is exactly what I'd fill my "personal style" Pinterest board with. 

In just a short few days, Berlin has captured my heart and my imagination too. The thought of leaving makes me sad as I feel we've only just scratched the surface, but I'll forever dream of a return trip. 

And when we finally get back here, we'll be armed with a whole new vocabulary.

Ich liebe dich, Berlin. I love you, Berlin.

Ps. I'll be following this up in the next few days with a second post about Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment